Thursday, May 3, 2012

Courageous: Boldly, Confidently Moving


Courageous:  Definition:  not deterred by danger or pain; brave.  The state or quality of mind or spirit that enables one to face danger, fear or vicissitudes with self-possession, confidence, and resolution.
                        Synonym:  brave, bold, valiant, plucky, gallant, hardy           


When I think of courageous and courage, I proudly think of my high school pals who are currently serving our country in the army, navy and air force.    I fondly remember the members of the RCMP detachments that I volunteered with.  I smile and think of my friends who are in the mission field, and have been for most of their lives, if not the entirety of it.  I am proud of the women in my life who have left undesirable, dangerous relationships, and still love unconditionally.

It takes a courageous woman to leave all that and all who she knows, to start fresh in a different part of Canada.  I did it, twice.  I left Toronto, Ontario on a Royal Airline Flight, not knowing who will be meeting me in Regina International Airport.  It was one of the best things that I ever did- left all behind in Ontario, started fresh in Saskatchewan.  I was stretched, I grew, and I fell in love with a new way of life.  The second time, I moved from Saskatchewan to Alberta, in the middle of the night- having to spend the first night alone in a bus station until I could move into my suite in the morning.  It was a good move- I was forced to be independent and I was stretched and pulled into who I became. 

Courageous moves happen all round us, all the time.  Someone puts their name in to run for City Counselor, who is just wants to make a difference.  It is a courageous move, as they are moving forward with confidence, with a boldness to put themselves out there.  A man chooses and decides that he is going to live as long as he can, while dying of cancer, in a homeless shelter, is courageous.  He changes the way society views homeless, the way we all view the choice of dying with dignity.   A woman moves out a of a house she turned into a home for many years, leaves behind memories, friends and life as she knows it- is courageous.  She has the boldness to stand up for herself after years of putting herself last.  She is courageous as she does not know what is a head of her, and yet she is determined to be happy, to be confident, to be true to herself.  These folks are courageous as they are afraid, yet they still choose to move forward, make themselves take action or stand up for what they want. 

Living courageously means to move! Just do it, and do so with confidence!  The first time will be the hardest; however, the next time will be easier! It is a choice, a healthy one even, to take that first step, and to do so with confidence, self esteem and self love.   It all starts with the choice, followed by the push of self, and followed by end result of happiness, contentment, love.

How can we choose to live courageously today, in this moment?  Step outside of your boundaries.  Have you met your neighbors yet?  Be bold, and introduce yourself.  Are you living in a fear? Write down that fear, and three steps that you can take today to help end that fear.  Are there feelings/emotions that you cannot describe or talk to anyone about?  Call the distress centre, write to a mentor center, walk into a church, or grab a coffee with a buddy.  

Courageous living starts with the decision to do so.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear."- Ambrose Redmoon      

 "Courage is not living without fear.Courage is being scared to death and doing the right thing anyway."- Chae Richardson

1 comment:

  1. It does indeed take courage to start a new life for yourself in a new place. It takes courage to enter new relationships, particularly if you've been thru bad ones. It takes courage to speak to strangers and courage to stand up for what you believe in. Courage should be a class taught in school! Every little step we make to move our lives foward in the direction of love is a step of courage, and it grows stronger every time we do! Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete